Wednesday 3 September 2014

{review} Peperoni Pizzeria / musings over pizza

Last Saturday I met up with a bunch of secondary school friends for dinner at Peperoni Pizzeria. A dinner filled with embarrassing topics and juicy discussions. There was also a lot of bickering... As usual! Some things never change.

Anyway, it was my first time dining at Peperoni Pizzeria because the queue is always mad long. Also because I usually can't wait too long for my food or I'll get angry (haha). Unless it's Hai Di Lao! Because they stuff you with fruit and snacks while you wait.

For some unknown reason I was super super hungry when we were seated. For our table of five, we ordered an entrée and a XXL pizza.



Entrée // Funghi Portobello con Pollo, $20
Deep fried whole portobello with sautéed chicken fillets in red wine sauce 


What you're looking at now is a single giant deep fried breaded portobello mushroom buried in tender chicken fillet strips and drowned in a zingy tomato-red wine sauce. Served piping hot, the breaded exterior of the portobello was super crunchy despite being drenched in sauce. It was soft, tender and juicy inside. Caramelised onions added a punch of sweetness that contrasted well with the tangy and slightly bitter red wine sauce. The portobello had a meaty satisfaction in terms of texture - it was basically like a vegetarian steak. Except deep fried.



Pizza // XXL (21 inch), $50
Half Prosciutto Crudo di Parma and half Pancetta
(Parma ham and rocket salad/ Cured bacon, sliced tomatoes and eggs)


The largest pizza I've ever laid my eyes on. Seriously. It was ginormous. However I had no doubt that there would be any leftovers because... I was hungry. We opted for a custom 50/50 pizza because with a pizza this big, you deserve to enjoy the best of both worlds! :D

After I devoured my first slice, it finally dawned upon me. I understood why people were willing to brave the long queues. Thanks to their wood-fired oven, the pizza was perfectly cooked. The crust was delightfully crisped (but still tender on the bottom) and slightly charred for that extra smoky flavour. How many pizza chains in Singapore can boast that they own a wood-fired oven?! FEW.

Parma ham and rocket, classic combination. Personally I do not fancy rocket aka arugula because I choked on it once at a dinner party and began tearing very badly while coughing up that damned piece of vegetable. Ah memories... Also, rocket has a pungent and bitter flavour - what foodies refer to as peppery - and has a firm, slightly fibrous texture that I dislike. However I am not picky so I ate it. Salty Parma ham with bitter greens and nutty Parmesan to top = great!

However the Pancetta side was less impressive. I felt that the pancetta was slightly saltier than the Parma ham. The runny yolks were very enticing though, and it helped to cut through the saltiness of the pancetta. Probably not a good idea to have cured meats on both halves as the saltiness can be overpowering. The boys liked this side better whereas the girls preferred the other side! Interesting.



Overall we had a good dining experience there! I'll definitely try the Frutti di Mare (fruits of the sea aka seafood) during my next visit. Sorry for the bad photos! The lighting was very unforgiving.

For the record, I only write about the food I enjoy. I do not praise every morsel of food I taste. Bad food is not worth commenting on or to even dedicate a post on it. Unless it was really bad - bad service + bad food is the worse combination ever in my books.


Peperoni Pizzeria
Suntec City
 3 Temasek Boulevard #B1-130

No comments:

Post a Comment